Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Feb 25, 2024, 10:08:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Knowing that my child graduated so that I can end child support?

Started by 23ncp, Mar 20, 2017, 06:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


I don't talk to the CP and the CP threatens to take me to court if I ask anything at all. I am concerned, because after my child turns 18, I don't think that I'll legally have access to the child's grades even though I have "shared parental responsibility"....what a term!

I am thousands of miles away from the child. I have no guarantee that they will even attend a graduation ceremony, so that might not even be public information.

I have no access to child, not a word in a long time.

Any ideas?



Find out when your individual state truly emancipates minors (in Alabama it's 19).

Do you pay through the state's CS office?

Contact the school prior to graduation and see if they will send you proof that the child has graduated -- if your states says "emancipated after high school" -- like make sure all the stars line up.

Then file with the court and ask that the child be emancipated......and if you pay through the state CS -- send them  certified letter asking the same with proof.

About 30 days prior to the final date.....give them some time to work it out.

Some situations t isn't necessary -- other states it is -- other states continue on with age of majority support (college).


If child is suppose to graduate this may/June , call guidance counselor and see if they will tell you if she is scheduled to graduate. Then file with courts to stop child support as child is suppose to graduate. Let ex prove she is still in school. I would file now and start process so you don't over pay. You can file
Yourself and write something like " father requests end date of child support as child should be graduating this may".
Good luck! (Also can call school and ask to speak to the yearbook advisor, they may tell you if she is a senior or ask if you can buy a yearbook)