Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 07:29:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

$ for travel to see my chilld: mom moving out of state

Started by fluv, Apr 01, 2004, 12:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluv

Hello,

My boy and his mom are moving from WA to Utah in July.  Nothing in our parenting plan says anything about moving out of state, except to notify the other parent within three months of intent to move.    I'm not interested in changing the child support schedule.  I am interested in having the court change our parenting plan to reflect my boy's mom splitting or paying for travel expenses.  Can anyone assist me regarding the steps I need to take?

Thanks,

FLUV

Kitty C.

Are you okay with this move?  If you have fairly frequent contact with him now, it's going to be cut back drastically after the move and who's to say this isn't the ex's way of removing you from his life.  If you are against the move, you need to file a TRO (temp. restraining order) in behalf of your son.  Basically what you would be saying is that she has every right to move but your son does NOT.  And she cannot move with him until it is decided in court that she can.

If the move is okay with you, you still need to go back to court or come to some kind of agreement for LD visitation.  As for travel, since SHE is the one moving, SHE should be the one responsible for all travel expenses.  If you agree to meet halfway, make sure that your CS is lowered to reflect the cost you incur with travel.  Ask for ALL extended school vacations (except EO or split Christmas), including all of spring break and ALL of summer.  Yes, you can ask for all summer, maybe allowing BM to have up to two weeks either at the beginning or end of school summer vacation.  I seriously doubt you will get her to agree to either meet halfway (and reduce your CS) or to pay for all travel expenses, so fully expect to go to court.

DS spent ALL summer with his dad out in CA (we live in IA), leaving one week after school was out and coming back one week before school started (he also spent EO Christmas there). It allowed for transition time and making before-school appts.  No, he never got to take part in any activities here in the summer, but he was able to spend a LOT of intense time with his dad.  Thank God, because his dad died almost two years ago.  I only wish DS could have spent more time with him, but it was his choice to move that far away.  DS will be 15 on Monday, and it's been very rough on him not to have his father in his life.

You don't mention how old your son is but he needs you as a constant in his life and for you to fight for him.  I strongly recommend getting an atty. and reading as much on this site as you can.  And come back often.  Because you're in for a rocky ride, my friend.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MixedBag

Your state's laws probably say she has to notify you and if you don't "object" via court action, off she goes.

Kitty is right -- anything that's not in the current order that you want identified (like travel expenses) needs to be addressed in court -- NOW.

wendl

Fluv,
I live in WA as well and in this state they have the intent to relocate children. They passed this in

What you can do is file now for a modification in custody/parenting plan so you can work out a reasonable parenting plan. This is WA state relocation law
http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.list

you can get the forms you need off of the washington state superior court website and download them, it will give you instructions on how to file the paperwork etc.
The website is http://www.courts.wa.gov/

you complete the motion to modify parenting plan, file with the courts, get a court date, serve other party and show for hearing. Most of the clerks will help you out too.

Can I ask what county your case is in I have delt with two counties in WA and could help you.

Other links that will be helpfull
http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/
http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.list

hope this helps
wendl

smtotwo

In WI you can't move more than 150 miles from the NCP without either court or NCP's consent.

Nothing is stated in the court order at all about this its simply state statute.

So just because it's not in your order doesn't mean you can't fight it or stop it!