Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:59:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Catholic 1st Communion

Started by sabor06, May 01, 2006, 09:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabor06

Non-Custodial father does not want my daughter to attend Saturday preparation classes when he has them. When we divorced we alternated weekends we did not go by Divorce Decree, now he wants to go by Decree every 1st & 3rd weekend. My daughter does her first communion on June 17th, which I would have had them that weekend, but since it is Father's Day weekend he would have them 3 weekends in a row, now he wants to do 1st & 3rd which puts us back to he having them that weekend. My daughter wants to do her 1st communion, in our family it is a BIG thing, he has never gone to church in the 12 yrs we were married, I was not married by church to him, which was one of our issues between us. He is rude and beligerent in regards to having her attend services. Any advice?

ocean

"I" would just tell him that she is not free the weekend of June 17th for the communion (but if he wanted to attend the church, go ahead) and that she is available the other weekends. She has been gettting ready for this day all year! I would put it in writing and mail it certified...(put no emotion in it, just facts). This way you have proof that you tried to work with him to a point. Tell him starting in July, you will be happy to go BACK to starting the old schedule. Good Luck!

sabor06

I spoke to the father of my church and he said GOD is grand and finds ways of helping those who really make an effort to worship in his light. There is anohter group 4, 5 & 6 graders graduating the following weekend and my baby girl can be in that group. Also the confession on friday at 6 has been moved to June 1 on a Thursday when I have them. so over all life is grand and god is good.

Ref

He said that would be perfect evidence for the dad to file for contempt against  her. Not a good idea.

Take care
Ref

ocean

Sure the father can file contempt but what is he going to say in court? The child has been studying all year for that day and she should be allowed to attend the day she is suppose to. What if the father has her for HS graduation and said too bad, your not going...I think he would really look bad to take it to court....JMO

Ref

MixedBag

for high school graduation, there is only ONE ceremony period.

For Holy Communion, there are other days for this event to happen.

sabor06

No true there are no other days only one for her class my priest is going to make an EXCEPTION and put in with the older group of kids. But her confession will still be an Issue due to it being on Thursday when it is his scheduled time with them too.

MixedBag

See -- when the priest made an EXCEPTION, that's what I mean by another day.

Even for confession (or reconcilliation), that can happen on any day.

Priests hear confessions all the time....

There's flexibility on your end and if you put the child first, you'll figure out how to work around him.

sabor06

True, but not for 1st time 1st Communions they only have two confession dates the Friday before father's day and the 1st of June, which is a Thurs.

Another topic, he never returns my calls and I have to be talking to his voice mail on topics such as illnesses, accidents, report cards, clothing left at his home, toys left at his home, etc.

Which is really frustrating to me "A type" personality. Quick resolution.

I was thinking on sending return receipt mail to him informing him of all above topics with I tried to reach you DATE/TIME.... etc...

Watcha think? I hate to think he can't get over his bitterness to have a civilized discussion about the kids. period.