Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 02:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Firefighter Visitation Schedule

Started by jumpinghoops, Aug 15, 2007, 10:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumpinghoops

I'm looking for examples of a Parenting Plan / Visitation schedule for firefighters or people who work 24 hours on and 48 hours off.

Thanks.

Kitty C.

That's a toughy..........I'm an EMT-B and I know what kind of schedules you guys can have.  A lot will depend on what the schedule of the other parent is.  Getting a split 50/50 could only happen if the OP has the exact opposite schedule you do, or arrangements are made for child care while the OP and you are both working.

Do your shifts start/end at 6 am.? Do you have scheduled holidays off?  Another suggestion is talk to a co-worker who shares custody and see what kind of arrangement they've worked out.  All I can stress is be VERY careful not to allow your schedule to be a factor in minimizing the time with your kids.  Yes, it's difficult to work around, but don't let the 'opposing side' make it an issue to limit the time with your kids.

Hope this helps........
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

gidgetgirl

http://forums.firehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-21579.html

http://www.robertgradel.com/mediation/mediation_strategies_resolving_child_custody.htm
Suggested alternative possession orders.
Is one parent an airline employee, in law enforcement, fire fighter or other job working non-standard hours? Does either side have a significant amount of free time to take the kids to ball games and such? If so, modifying the SPO to fit the parties situation could seal the deal.
Here are some ideas for possession orders that are alternatives to SPO visitation:
Split custody - Alternating months
Child spends January, March, May, July, September, November with one parent, then February, April, June, August, October and December with the other. SPO visitation with the non-custodial parent.
Split custody - 2-2-5-5
Begin with Monday, Tuesday for Mom, then, Wednesday, Thursday for Dad, then Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues for Mom, then Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun for Dad. Then start over.
Split custody - alternating years
Non-custodial parent gets SPO visitation while the custodial parent has primary.
Split custody - Alternating weeks
Friday to Friday at 6:00 p.m., SPO visitation for holidays, each party may designate one weekend in the summer for their vacation period (thus giving the parent 10 consecutive days with the children).
Split custody - split year
Each parent has custody for six months, with SPO visitation for the non-custodial parent. This will generally work best for kids under 5.
Split custody - One parent has school year, the other parent the summer.
If mom raises children during the school year, dad will have SPO visitation during that period. Mom will have one 7 day period during dad's 3 month summer period, with notice by April 1.

hopeful25

My husband is a paramedic who works 7am-7am with 48 hours off. We have been married 10yrs and this is what we did.  Every third day he would go to work.  Then during the summer when he would get off at 7am, he would pick his son up and keep him overnight take him home to second day around 6pm.  Work the next day, etc.  When he got into school, DH would pick him up after school and take him to school the next day.  This only works if both parents know what is going on with homework.  Communication with teachers is key. The every other wkd and holidays still stand.  We are now in the teen years and it has come a more stable schedule...staying with one parent during the week and the other eow and vacations.   Good Luck!