Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 01:46:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

KILL BILL OR KILL MEN?

Started by antonin, Apr 24, 2004, 07:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonin

After I saw Kill Bill II, I felt very strange. It was then that I realized that I was watching an insane feminist fantasy. If you doubt this, see:

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2007617

Genre films  tend to absorb and transmit the mores and social climate of the times.

Now..Bill:

Amoral vicious killer (Thurman) falls in love with evil vicious killer (Bill).
They do their thing: kill people. They are together. They are the same.
Suddenly....she changes her mind. Runs away, finds another man.
Bill loves her. Gets jealous. Goes crazy.

The entire change is Thurman's character is based on the fact that she is going to become a mom and in her emotional-driven destructive arrogance she assumes that she is better than Bill to raise the kid and that being around Bill will be bad for the kid. Never once does she consider that she is of the same moral fabric as Bill: a vicious trained killer. Because she is the mom: she is right and her environment is the best.

Because she changes her mind, we are supposed to ignore the fact that she is a killer and is essentially the same as Bill.

Subconsciously Tarantino has the paradigm: This is essentially a mirroring of no-fault divorce and the societal attitude towards women in general. Kiddo (Thurman) is not to blame for anything she's done. She's "found herself." Also, she is to assume no responsibility for her actions.  HER MORAL CHOICES CREATED HER SITUATION.

There is not one positive white male character in the film.

Poop.