Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 02:24:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

nanny's

Started by wlmkit, Jan 19, 2004, 06:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlmkit

Does anyone use a nanny to watch there children or no someone who does?  How much does a nanny charge?  If there is a child over 13 along with smaller children does the nanny charge for the older child as well?  My husbands ex has a nanny for her 2 smaller children his 13 1/2 year old is with the nanny 3 days a week for only 1 hr before parents come home from work.  She was with us during the Christmas holiday and said she watches her siblings sometimes while her parents go out for a few hours and has stayed home alone on occassions.  I do not think it is bd's job to watch her younger siblings after school.  But she is almost 14 and I do not think my husband should continue to have to pay for daycare expenses which the mother says is $250.00 a month ( we pay an extra $100.00 that is added on top of the c/s) because she uses a nanny in her home.  We would like to file a modification how can we get the judge to see that if the mother did not have these younger children there would be no nanny?  I really would like some helpful advice not people writing that do we not care about bd's safety and an extra $100.00 is worth her being safe.  I do not want anything bad to happen to her but I do believe she is old enough to not have a nanny or be in a daycare situtation.  My husband has been on unemployment for the last 4 months, for the past 2 years he has been unemployed on and off.  His back support is just continuing to rise and the interest is continuing to make it go up even more.  The courts don't seem to care they just impute his income at what he could be making.  If we could get rid of the daycare expense that would help emensley.
Thank-you

kiddosmom

Is your DH the daddy to all of them or just the older? She is only left in this nanny's care for 1 hr?
If she is left in charge of the younger siblings I would use that as a reason with the judge.

wlmkit

Hubby is the daddy to the 13 1/2 year old the younger siblings are the mothers with her new husband.

kiddosmom

13 1/2 is usually old enough to be able to speak to the judge, or write a letter to the judge explaining that she is only in the nanny's care for very nominal times. She can also include in that letter that she is left with the responsibility of her siblings at times.

oklahoma

You could also contact the state Children's Welfare Department (or whatever it is called in your state--our state has changed the name like 3 times in recent years....)  They have guidelines for the age that it is OK for children to stay home alone.

I personally believe that 13 is OK.  I was babysitting other people's children at age 12.  I have had a few 13-year olds babysit for me.....
Of course, if it were longer than an hour or two, I would have greater concern.  

In answer to the cost of nannys.  My sister is a nanny with about 3 years experience, and she was getting $400/week. (Not sure what her hours were--I think it was full-time for one child, a few hours/day for two other children.)

wlmkit

I have called, there is no set age.  You can leave your 8 year old as long as they could care for themselves.

I to believe 13 is fine with spending at least a couple of hrs on there own.  It's just getting a Judge to realize that hubby should'nt have to pay daycare expenses because the mother hired one for her 2 younger children just because the 13 year old is in the home at the time the nanny is there.

By any chance would she have charged for a 13 year old because she was in the house for about an hour with her?

Thank-you for your reply

NoNicky

Most nannies I have heard of are paid salary and that is negotiated ahead of time.  So the 13 yr old really would not add to their cost of a nanny for their younger 2.  That is more probably why she is in the care of the nanny for short periods.  The rate is already determined.  Sounds to me like they're getting your dh to pay for the childcare of their younger 2 children.  

Keep asking questions and then take the matter back to court.  At 13 she doesn't need a nanny and the only care she would need would be if they were going to be out for an extended time or overnight.

NoNicky
For God has not given a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind.  1 Peter 1:6