Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 09:03:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So What Do Normal Dads Do On Their EOW?

Started by StPaulieGirl, Feb 17, 2004, 11:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StPaulieGirl

No, I'm serious.

This is Mr. Wonderful's idea of spending time with his kids:  if he does take them to his house, they sit and watch tv.  He and his wife go to bed at 9pm, and deadbolt themselves in their bedroom.  I received a call from my youngest at 10:30pm, saying she was bored.  She has a tv and a VCR in her bedroom, plus a lot of toys.  This was 2 weeks ago.

Many times, their father and his wife will rent a hotel room close to shops they want to browse through, and the kids spend the weekend cooped up in a room watching tv.  This last weekend was a pain.  My son in law got an email from Mr. Wonderful announcing that he would pick up the kids on Saturday, not Friday, and to make sure that they brought their bathing suits.  Unfortunately, the youngest has grown out of everything.  I spent thursday buying all new clothes for her.  Bathing suits are not available(at least the ones I can afford)in stores, yet.

My son is sick, so he didn't want to go.  When my girl found out they were going to stay at a hotel, she pitched a fit, but I made her go anyway.  Guess where they stayed?  The Beverly Hilton!  My oldest daughter went online and checked out the room rates.  I couldn't believe it, but when my girl came home she told me that the room was 397.00.  Daddy left the bill right on the table next to her.

She went wearing one of her new outfits, and told them about all the clothes she got( Susie's Deals had 3 racks of clothes for 99 cents-and I rounded it out with the regular 5 buck items) so daddy and stepmom took her to the Gap store in Beverly Hills and bought her more clothes, including a 2 piece bathing suit.  I'm sorry but I don't allow my girls to wear 2 piece bathing suits...at least not when they're 9.  When I can find them on sale, I'll buy her a 1 piece.  She can keep the other suit at Daddy's.

You know, I don't know why he bothers exercising visitation.  How in hell are you supposed to bond and spend quality time with your kid in a hotel room?  That's ok, when we eventually move, they have an uncle in that area(ex bro in law), who loves camping.  He doesn't have kids of his own, so mine are always welcome.  My friend loves camping and fishing.  He also collects non poisonous snakes and breeds them for a side project.  He'll find healthy things for them to do.  Hey who knows, maybe someday he'll be able to exercise HIS visitation, and all the kids can go hiking together.

So, back to my question...what do normal Dads do on their weekends?

Sorry about the rant, but I've been stewing about this all weekend.

MYSONSDAD

Right now the activities are based on the weather conditions. Took my little guy to the park last time and went sledding. Had a ball, but he did not like walking up the hill. Stayed in the sled and road up. The little guy just turned two.

A few weeks before that, we did cut out cookies. Flour flew everywhere and we had a 'kodak moment' for hours. The cookies were good too.

I try to do something different everytime. Trying to fill two weeks into a few days is not easy. Just want to share alot of love and bonding.

StPaulieGirl

It's tough when the kids are small.  My granddaughter will be two next month.  We leave the entertainment up to Aunt Brenda and her friends.  Heehee, auntie is 9 ;-)

What you're doing is building good memories for both you and your little boy.  Trying to make up two weeks into a couple of days is impossible, but as your boy gets older, you both will have that bond, and can do all the fun stuff.  

Thanks for replying.  I'm starting to wonder if this stuff is all in my head...

Kitty C.

Ours depended on the weather, too, but when you live in a rural area, there's more to do.  In-laws live on a farm and the 4-wheeler and pellet gun (with PROPER supervision) are a BIG draw with boys, LOL!  Then there's fishing as soon as it gets warm, mushroom hunting in May (it's great to go with SS, cuz he never sees them, until someone yells at him to watch where he steps!), camping, DH is teaching him to golf, local events, family get-togethers, then sledding and snowmobiling in the winter, interspersed with PS2 time of course!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MixedBag

and this is coming from a mom....not a dad.

One thing I like to do -- and my son likes it too -- is to take him to "work" with me.

As best I can, I try to lead a "normal" life and let him relax and play.  I don't try to be a "Disneyland" mom -- though I love Disney -- and we just hang out, go shopping, take 50 trips to Walmart of course, but that's normal for me and that's how I want my son to know me.

gmaoftwo

because the kids live @650 miles away.  But when they're here, son's indoor activities with them are things like painting, Play Doh, playing with their dollhouse, Barbies, or their "play kitchen".  Son is an active participant in all these things.  He also likes to teach them about music, and play his guitar for them.  

Outdoor or "away from home" activities are things like parks/playgrounds, the zoo, children's museums, an occasional movie, the toy store, or just playing ball, playing in the sandbox, or running around the yard.

He's such a good Dad, he just doesn't get enough time with his kids!

kiddosmom

As we are CP, when NCP gets her 1st 3rd and 5th WE. we REST! lol, sd is a busy lil thing, we need the whole weekend to recoup our energy :)

StPaulieGirl

I get really frustrated.  My girl would be happy to spend time with her father in the park, playing computer games with him, or building with Legos.