Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 05:59:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone hip to pop singers appropriate for young girls?

Started by DecentDad, Jun 25, 2004, 10:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DecentDad

Hi all,

Okay, my young daughter is obviously a naturally gifted singer and lyricist (she's been making up her own rhyming lyrics since age 3), and she loves to put on her little performances in the house.

Her mannerisms and errr ummmm song topics suggest that her mom is exposing her to some pop music that I'd rather not embrace.

So, I'm thinking of getting a few DVD concerts of female pop singers that aren't in the vain of Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, etc.

Getting to watch someone in concert should be great for impressing her and do the role-modeling thing for how she pursues her "act."

My lame-arse music exposure can only come up with Natalie Merchant and Carly Simon.

Any suggestions?  Is Shania Twain pretty clean?

Just looking for outfits that aren't too revealing, dancing that ain't too suggestive, and lyrics that won't make me embarrassed if my daughter starts singing them in public.

Of course, if you can think of "dad only" concerts that ARE too suggestive, that have multiple wardrobe malfunctions, and lyrics that would make a sailor blush... ummmm, that'd be good to know too.  :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

DD

Kitty C.

Celine Dion has her own venue there now and I know she's very family oriented and has a helluva voice to boot.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

DecentDad

Thanks Kitty.

After just finishing a 3 year custody battle, I'm all tapped out for Vegas trips for a while.  :)

But that's a great suggestion for getting a DVD from one of her concerts!

DD

Kitty C.

Well, I realized you're in CA, but had no idea how close you might be!  I think she also has some TV specials from time to time.

Another idea is to go to a large music store and just as one of the OLDER employees (!) or some manager to assist you in looking.  They would have a better idea as to what kind of music you're looking for.

Also, if you live in a metro area, go to the venues that offer concerts of any size, sometimes the word isn't spread as well for those who aren't as 'mainstream'.  Or go to their websites and watch for upcoming events.  You just might get lucky and have an opportunity to take her to a live show sometime!  Often those concerts aren't nearly as pricey as the headliners are.

And I commend you in taking an active role in this, not only to support her talent but to steer her in the right direction for it!  Way to go, Dad!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

treadiing water

Try 'Zoegirl'.  They are a religious girls group but sound very Britney Spears like and there is even a song they do that sounds like Shania Twain.  I play it for my girls (8 and 4) and they like it, and my oldests friends have commented about it also.  The religious message is pretty subtle in some of the songs and uch more open in others.  At present they have two albums out and I prefer the first although we started on the second.

Here's a link that will let you sample the music.

http://www.happyheartmusic.com/artistzoegirl.htm

Ref

She always wears clothes. She is kinda a skater chick gone pop. She is perfect for a young girl. She is a young singer and cute. Her music can be heard on almost all teenager stations and videos on MTV.

She will definately been cooler listening to Avril and can probably relate better than with Shania and Celine. Shania dresses pretty racey anymore.

Try going on the Nickelodeon web page. That might help.

wendl

lol I would have to agree with Avril Lavine, my 12yr old son like her. She is a total skater chick and doesn't try to be all sexy like these other young singers, she is herself.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

lovehiskids

Off the top of my head...

Amy Lee of Evanessence... she is a good kid and the music is great.

Raven Symone... Has the Disney Channel Show "That's So Raven" and can sing.

Michelle Branch

SheDaisy - incredibly clean cut country group, devoutly religious and doesn't dress hoochy

joni

Disney's got all sorts of pop singers on their label and radio station like Hilary Duff, Raven Simone.  If you watch the Disney channel, they have their videos in between shows.

http://radio.disney.go.com/index.html

stepmom74

I agree with the disney channel girls.  Raven and Hillary Duff are really good singers and there is no swearing or too much talk about lovers and things.  I have two of Avril Lavigne's Cd's and I like her so I let my kids listen to her too but she does swear once and a while in her songs.  

Another person I really respect is Sheryl Crow.  She is one of my daughter's favorites and she is very talented.  My daughter is 5 and my SD is 10 and these are the types of music they like.  

I just bought the Hillary Duff CD for my 5 year old and my SD had her at her moms house.  She's good for the younger kids to teens.  I don't know how old your daughter is but I think they are all good suggestions.

Stepmom74:)