Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 02:39:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Calculating Health Ins Premiums

Started by mad_as_hell, Mar 21, 2005, 08:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad_as_hell

The agreement signed between T and his ex says that they are to pay the health ins. premium "equally". C is on her step father's med ins. Also on this med. ins. are step-father, J (the ex), and their three children. A total of 6 people. To calculate C's portion of the premium, J claims that in "speaking with other mothers", because it is a family plan it does not matter that there are 6 people on the plan. Therefore it is only "fair" to divide the premium per pay period by only 4 people. But, we are of the opinion that each person iis still being covered under that plan and each person in the household then still accounts for a portion of that premium per pay period. Therefore, shouldn't we be dividing the premium by 6 to get C's portion? That seems fair to me because C is T's only child. Isn't this just a way for her to get him to pay for some of her other children's expenses?! What do you think?

boysmom1

It depends on how the insurance is set up. For instance, my insurance has a price if I bought it for just me, a price for just me and 1 other person, and then a price for me and 2 or more people. I cover my son and myself, but if I put my stepkids on the policy, it is only fair that the mother be required to pay 1/2 of the premium difference between employee +1 and family rates.

It can be looked at 2 different ways. For instance in my plan adding just one person throws the premium up by say $125. They shouldn't be able to divide the whole premium by 3 because my son & I are on, they should have to pay the difference between what the premiums would be for 2 people and 3 people.

But if their family alone would bump the plan up to that amount then it should be divided by all six.

Did that make any sense? It's hard to answer this without giving a math equation.

mad_as_hell

Actually, if you look on the other board called Child Support Issues, I posed the same question and some one found me the guidelines according to the state the agreement was signed in.  Also, on Dear Socrateaser, I posted the same question and you can read my final repsonse to all replies and get a little more info on the situation.

Thanks!