Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 07:50:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

School Records

Started by mrsongman, Jan 10, 2008, 11:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsongman

I'm here for different reason now but many years ago people on this forum where very helpful during my former custody issues.

Today I'm here to simply help my girlfriend and her son.

As you know what seems simple often becomes complicated for various reasons.

Basically he lost his SSN card AND his school ID card last year when he was 17 and now is 18.

DMV in Las Vegas tells me they will accept school records as long as it shows SSN as proof of identity so my questions are...

1. Now that he's 18 can he simply request his records himself..remember he has no verification OTHER THAN HIS CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

Also he's NO LONGER in school.

2. Can his mother who DOES have ID request the records from the school still

3. Do most school records show SSN#?

Sorry, I've been outta this stuff for many years and have never even seen a copy of mine or anyone's school records so I don't know if it's even worth our effort.

Lastly I did find the school records info here

http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/reportcards.php

and that's what brought me back to this forum after all these years.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy New Year!

Jim

FLMom

Jim,

I just went through this with my oldest daughter when we were trying to get her driver's license. I'm in FL, but the SS system should work the same there.

Since he is 18, he'll have to do this himself.

First, he will have to go to the SS office with his birth certificate. They will literally make him raise his hand and swear that the information he provides is real and true. They will then give him a temporary "certificate" of sorts to take to the DMV and get his photo ID. Then, he will go back to the SS office, and they will use the photo ID as proof to issue his SS card.

Whew. I know it sounds like a lot, and it is. Just be sure to take a book to the SS office. . . . if it's like ours, you'll be there for a while.

Good Luck!

mrsongman

Thank you for  taking time to respond.

If it worked for her it's certainly worth a try here.

We live in Las Vegas where every con under the sun has shown itself but it may be easier than actually getting school records.

Monday we'll set out to start the process either way.

If anyone here has info on the school records process would greatly appreciate your input as well. Good to have alternate plans and ideas.

FLMom

When I had to get school records for court years ago, I just went to the school district main office. They pointed me towards where the records were stored in a different building. Had to prove who I was to get them, then they made copies for me. . . and if I remember right it took days if not a week or so. Since he's 18, he'll probably have to get them himself.

ocean

Go to the Social Security office and ask for a new one to be mailed to you. He will need it for jobs and in his future any way....Since he is 18, he will have to do it.
I quickly looked on their site...he can show his health card, birth certificate, work ID card...... go to //www.ssa.gov

lucky

I would double check on the birth certificate part.  When we changed ds's last name, I brought his BC to the SS office to get that changed and was told that BC were easy to forge so they didn't accept them.  That was about 10 years ago though, so things may have changed.  I had to give them a health insurance card with his new name.  I thought it was odd that a health insurance card was considered proof of identity too.

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

mistoffolees

>I would double check on the birth certificate part.  When we
>changed ds's last name, I brought his BC to the SS office to
>get that changed and was told that BC were easy to forge so
>they didn't accept them.  That was about 10 years ago though,
>so things may have changed.  I had to give them a health
>insurance card with his new name.  I thought it was odd that a
>health insurance card was considered proof of identity too.

That's pretty strange. It can't be much harder to forge a  health insurance card than a birth certificate.

FLMom

SS has had a problem with people confusing Birth Certificates and Birth Records. A lot of people bring the footie print hospital card in thinking it's valid.

To get a true copy of your Birth Certificate, you have to go to the county in which the birth was recorded and sign a form swearing that you're a parent or the actual person requesting it. It's printed out and stamped, and is then a valid document. You also have to know the SS#, the DOB and the mother's maiden name to get it, at least here.

Also just went through this with my hubby and he's in his 30's. His dad still lives in his hometown, and had to go through the county office there and do exactly what I just said above.

Maybe the health insurance card, coupled with other stuff, is considered valid now, but I darn sure didn't work for us a few months ago.

mrsongman

Just want to thank all for the info. I think this thread will be good for many others in the future.

We'll be starting this journey this coming Monday as my friend can't get off work till then.

Thought I'd also include some more info here about this situation.

We were told by Social Security that TAX records would work.

Now think about this..anyone could simply dummy tax records then copy them and the SS office would issue a SSCard.

They would NOT simply issue a permanent SS card when he and his mother were there prior to him turning 18 in November BUT they did issue one of those temporary print outs. WHAT GIVES! where is the rationalization here?

AND... Las Vegas DMV would NOT issue a state ID even with the temp SS info they gave us and told us to take to the DMV!

He even had an expired school photo card WITH the temp SSN printed info and they said it was not good enough!

We should of at the time demanded to speak with a supervisor or admin in the DMV office now I think about it.

Vegas lines are outrageous so I"m sure any kind of persistence as long as being tactful would get results but that's just a guess.

Also it's unfortunate but I"m working with a family with not the best of backgrounds. Not criminally but unfortunately they've never learned the important of these things.

I discovered the mother has not filed taxes in years because she works many jobs under the table because she only has a 6th grade education!

Now 40 this is catching up with her and the whole process become harder.

It's unfortunate because she's really bright and articulate and despite not having a sane mother or father to raise her she's a very sweet person.

What's frustrating the most is her son we're trying to help who's got a pissy attitude. Life sucks..I'm screwed..no way up.

I told him I don't have a problem giving people a hand UP but if he's looking for a hand out then he can take a hike.

Anyway...thought I'd give more background here as never know when someone else will benefit from this.

Again..thanks folks!

I'll keep you posted.

lucky

Seriously - it WAS a certified BC.  His footprints wouldn't have worked because they had his OLD name.

It was off the wall, I hope it's changed because that was just bizarre.
[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers