Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 03:23:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The boychild needs help . . .

Started by hagatha, Oct 07, 2004, 10:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hagatha

Annasmom,

In the school district here, they don't change classrooms  for every subject. In fact this week they combined the advanced algebra class and the regular math class. This eliminated 1 teacher. This is a small school (even by public school standards). The only teacher that has a small class time is math and math is now 1 hr. The other teachers have the same kids, as in the entire class moves for almost half the day.   There is a total of 67 kids in 8th grade, and 2 classes that are completely seperate. All teachers are given "teacher notes" from the previous yrs teachers. I'm sorry but I'd think by this time they would have had enough time to at least look at the notes.

I have called and written at least 3x to get a meeting set up and am still waiting for a time and day. The school therapst must also attend at my request and apparently this person is not part of the package when reviewing a 504 plan.

I would love to sit with him all day in class but the school frowns on parents coming to class as it disrupts the entire class and is a huge embarrassment to the kids. (and besides there is a big self-esteem problem with the boychild)

I would love to put him in a different school, but my only option would be private school and I just cannot afford tuition.

Please understand, school is just part of the problem. I swear he dreams of ways to irritate and instigate just to see who will get riled fastest.

Anyway, I hope this is really a maturity thing and I will not have to resort to calling him "Peter" when he is an adult.

Thanks
The Witch

Remember . . . KARMA is a Wonderful Thing!!!!!

lucky

if you don't know of the organization called PACER.  They are based in Minnesota, but their website says they are a national organization.  I heard about them when my 11yo son's principal blew off our requests for an IEP evaluation and then he "suddenly" brought a knife to school.  My mom works for the MN Dept. of Ed and she talked to a BUNCH of co-workers in the special ed areas and they all told her to have me contact PACER because they are advocates for the parents and they KNOW so much about the IEP/504 processes and laws.

In fact, the district's special ed director called me (after I sent a detailed letter to her, the superintendent, the principal, the weapons committee chair and the IEP case manager - for speech therapy only - that named names and dates.  he he he.  I don't think he'll be going back to that school cause I think the principal now HATES me for calling her on it) and told me to contact PACER as well since we've had so many problems with this.

http://www.pacer.org/
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

wendl

Hey Haggie,

My son is 12 and refuses to get out of bed in the am too, drives me nuts.  I tried banging pots and pans, yelling you name it, but the he is doing much better since I purchased and AIR HORN, I have only had to use it ONCE.

As for school, I thought my son was having a problem too, he wasn't disrupting the class so to speak but wasn't understanding homework, I requested that he be tested (school district we were in has to comply within 20 days, which they did) well that wasn't the probelm.

So 2yrs later he grades started to drop, while playing baseball a mother of a teammater informed me she thought my son may be having absence seizures. So I called DR for a referral and off for a EEG, well yep he does have absence seizures (formaly known as petite mal) anyways he has been on meds since and is doing great. I do feel bad as I used to yell at him for NOT paying attention NOT doing what I asked etc, well in reality he was having a seizure and missed parts of what myself and teachers where saying (seizures last 3-40 seconds each)

Keep at the school and if they won't help go to the school district. I am sooo thankful, we used moved into a small town and they have homework time (yep in middle school) they also have afterschool help and detention OMG detention didn't have that in our big city school.

Keep at it and don't give up, go lock yourself in the bathroom and take a hot bath.

HUGS

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**