Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 03:45:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

My boy was naughty at school today..

Started by leftoverinmn, Feb 04, 2005, 03:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stepmom0418

I have heard that as well. Actually I was told that there have been children that have died as a result of dish soap being put in their mouth......... something about the degreaser in some of them. (such as in dawn dish soap)

Just what i was told I am not saying to do it or not to just relaying what I was informed of.

Everyone can make their own conclusions...........

leftoverinmn

You are right, Kitty. The glycerin in soap can cause severe diarrehea. I'm not considering that. Not an option, but thanks for the input anyways..

His teacher called me today. On valentine's day, she told the kids they could open their valentines, but not eat the candy gifts. So, my boy had a mouthful of chocolate, and she asked him, "Jack, are you eating candy after I told everyone not to?" Of couse, he said no. Last night at my mom's house,  he was climbing on the snowmobile outside. He pulled the cover off, I asked him, "Why did you pull the cover off, Jack?" He said the wind blew it off. The other day, he emptied off his books off his bookshelf. I asked, "What were you thinking, Jack?" He said his bookshelf fell over.

After talking with his teacher, I realized something. His teacher and I are trying to "set him up" in a lie.. When we ask him "Why" or "What" it leaves the door wide open for him to fib.

We came to the agreement that we have to just say, "Jack, you are eating candy after I said 'no'." Or, "You emptied your bookshelf, you are cleaning your room tomorrow.".

I think we need to shut that door, and lay down personal responsibility for him. Any opinions??

Troubledmom

Young kids, especially ones with active imaginations (recalling the time my then 4 year old left his shoes outside, I told him go get his shoes he replied "I can't the devil has them and told me 'go home little boy you can't have your shoes' and Mommy I think he was serious" I opened up the door and his shoes were right there on the stoop) need to have the door to "lying" closed.

I agree that the new approach from you and his teacher may help.

I also think that these very imaginative young people need to have a place to express their imagination :-) perhaps "story" time where he can tell you stories he has made up each evening would be a good way to start.

Good Luck

TM

janM

....I saw in today's paper. It's called Baby Blues, about a family with 3 young children. The mom hears a series of crashes and bangs and finds the middle child (boy) on the kitchen floor with an overturned chair, cookie crumbs everywhere, and the cookie jar upside down on his head.

He says, "I didn't do it."

I agree that you need to change the response to his "tales".

joni

I think the new approach will help as well.  Didn't even occured to me that you were leaving the door open to lying.  Thanks for the heads up on my 3 y.o., as to what to anticipate some day soon.

I had something similar with my 3 y.o. about changing approaches.  He was going thru that stage of challenging his limits and I was butting heads with him.  He and I are both Type A personalities, I didn't want my 3 y.o. to win, I'm the mom.  He didn't want me to win because.....well, just because.

It occurred to me the more the more I butted heads with him, the more he butted back.  I softened my approach.  I started speaking in near whispers and didn't overeact to him.  I also didn't try to rationalize with him.  Stated my case once, end of story.  My son backed down immediately when I took my flame away from his fire.