Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 05:22:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alimony modification?

Started by downwithit, Dec 07, 2003, 04:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downwithit

Dear Socrateser:
   Me again but different topic. When my husband divorced 18 months ago he agreed to pay alimony to his ex-wife. It was not court ordered.

She made him sign something saying he would never try to modify.

She has a Phd as does my husband. They were married 17 years. She has never worked.

She is also independently wealthy from some parental thing. Plus, she could work if she wanted to. Her kids are now 16, 14, and 12.

He agreed to pay alimony because he just couldn't be married to her anymore. There was no fault for the divorce. Her standard of living is equal to or better than ours.

1.Does he stand a chance of having alimony modified?

Thanks Soc!

socrateaser

>1.Does he stand a chance of having alimony modified?

If the document signed was a stipulated judgment that was subsequently signed by the court and entered into the court record, then absent public policy in your state rendering such an agreement unenforceable, your husband is stuck forever.

This is a very complicated question requiring a thorough analysis of the state law where the divorce took place. My general answer is thus, no, but there may be an exception based on the law of your jurisdiction. You'd need to speak with a local attorney or try to research the question in a legal database.