Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 21, 2024, 04:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Domestic Violence and a Restraining order

Started by SM_in_FL, Oct 19, 2004, 04:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM_in_FL

Hi, Soc!
Real quick, I got a restraining order against bm. she has a hearing coming up which may benefit dh( because of what she says) and these are open courts so anyone can just come on in. Now here's my question.....

1) Can I go to her hearing and record what she says if I have the restraining order against her? Basically, am I also not allowed to go near her?

Thanks, Soc!

socrateaser

>1) Can I go to her hearing and record what she says if I have
>the restraining order against her? Basically, am I also not
>allowed to go near her?

Yes, you can go to the hearing. It's her duty to stay away from you, not the other way around, but the court can't find her in contempt while you're both in the same courtroom. You should remind the court of the existence of the restraining order, and the court will probably order one of you to stay in the courtroom while the other leaves the building after the hearing.

As far as the recording part goes, that's up to your court. Some courthouses have a standing order to prohibit any person from entering the building with a recording device, so if there's a security check at the fron door, you may have to leave your tape recorder there until you leave.

joni

check with the court house but I know in the county of our jurisdiction, for $6 we can order a video tape of the court session.  Some courts videotape, others audiotape.