Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 28, 2024, 07:21:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can I force my ex wife to allow me to give up my parental rights?

Started by freebird, Dec 29, 2004, 11:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebird

My exwife and I separated when she was 5 mos pregnant.  We had only gotten married because she was pregnant.  After she left, I filed for divorce, but had to wait until the child was born for the paternity test, which did rule that I was the father.

As soon as the divorce was final, my exwife immediately left the Washington state with the child and now resides in Colorado.  Our original divorce and child support orders are all in Washington state, where I reside, though she and the child live in Colorado.

I have never laid eyes on him, nor have I had any interest in doing so, given the way the matter came about.   Another man has raised this child from day one, literally as his own child.  This child does not know me personally as his father.

I pay my child support regularly as is court ordered, including an exhorbitant amount of day care which the child does not need.  But that's another post.  The child is now 6½.  His mother has told him my name, and who I am, but he has never had any interaction with me or any members of my family.  The only father he has ever known is her husband.

I want to give up my parental rights to this child.  I have never had any contact or relationship with this child, except to send child support, and that has only been contact with his mother.

1. Can my lack of contact with the child be considered child abandonment?
    2.  Can I somehow force my exwife into allowing me to give up my parental rights and make her be responsible and allow her husband to adopt this child?
    3.  Where would I file for this, in Washington in the county where the divorce was finalized, or in Colorado?

Thank you.

socrateaser

>    1. Can my lack of contact with the child be considered
>child abandonment?

Nope, not unless you stop paying support.

>    2.  Can I somehow force my exwife into allowing me to give
>up my parental rights and make her be responsible and allow
>her husband to adopt this child?

Sure, at the point of a gun. Otherwise, unless her husband voluntarily agrees to adopt the child, you are responsible.

>    3.  Where would I file for this, in Washington in the
>county where the divorce was finalized, or in Colorado?

Emerld City, Poppy County, Republic of Oz.

freebird

The husband has expressed interest in adopting, but my exwife has stated that I will "always be on the hook" for the child.  This child has the benefit of a two parent home, the only two parents he has ever known, yet, she still gets money from me.

1.  Would she have to consent to me giving up my rights even with her husband willing to adopt?
   2.  Isn't this rape of some sort?  Give me a freaking BREAK!!  I mean, he has two parents, why does he need my money?  It's all about the money!!

socrateaser

>   1.  Would she have to consent to me giving up my rights
>even with her husband willing to adopt?

An adoption will require the consent of all parties with present custodial rights, so without the mother's consent, the new husband cannot adopt.

>   2.  Isn't this rape of some sort?  Give me a freaking
>BREAK!!  I mean, he has two parents, why does he need my
>money?  It's all about the money!!

Rape is the nonconsentual forced sexual penetration of another person. Your facts show that you are being ordered to pay child support. This is not rape. It is, however, involuntary servitude. Unfortunately, no court will recognize that legally coerced payments of child support violate the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. And, no court ever will, so don't bother asking me how you can start a constitutional challenge, because you'll be wasting your time.

As to your comment, that "it's all about money," my response is, "no, it's all about sex." After all, there would be no child support without a child, and no child without sex. Money is just part of the consideration for which sex is exchanged.