Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CS and Collage in Alaska

Started by familyof8, Jan 10, 2005, 01:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

familyof8

Alaska

Daughter turns 18 in May and graduation date is end of May.

1.  How do we terminate the CS ?

2.  Can the mother go to court and ask that I pay for collage on our daughter?

3.  Would the mother still get the money or would the money go directly to the daughter?  

4.  It says nothing about collage in the divorce degree so would we have to go back to court and get something written out and the specifics ?

socrateaser

>Alaska
>
>Daughter turns 18 in May and graduation date is end of May.
>
>1. How do we terminate the CS ?

In Alaska, CS terminates by operation of law when the child is 18 and graduated H.S. or a trade school equivalent. So:

1. If you're wages are assigned and collected by CSSA, then you should be able to inform them that the child has graduated H.S. and they will terminate collection.

2. If you're wages are being paid directly to the other parent by your employer, then you will need to file a motion for an order terminating the wage assignment, so that you can serve it on your employer to cause them to stop the deducting from your pay.

3. If you're self-employed and paying directly to the other parent, then you can just stop paying.

>2. Can the mother go to court and ask that I pay for collage
>on our daughter?

Nope. Alaska does not provide for college child support, unless you voluntarily agreed to it in a prior order/judgment.

>3. Would the mother still get the money or would the money go
>directly to the daughter?

Question is irrelevant.
>
>4. It says nothing about collage in the divorce degree so
>would we have to go back to court and get something written
>out and the specifics ?

If the judgment says nothing, then you are off the hook, unless you voluntarily agree to pay. Based on your facts, then on the day your child graduates H.S., you are done, legally speaking. So, get ready to pop the cork on a bottle of Dom Perignon!

familyof8

Thank you very very much.  For the help and for the answer being what I wanted.  The count down is on..

Is there a site you can lead me to that these laws are written?

socrateaser

>Thank you very very much.  For the help and for the answer
>being what I wanted.  The count down is on..
>
>Is there a site you can lead me to that these laws are
>written?

[a href=http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title25.htm]Alaska Domestic Relations Law[/a]

Unfortunately, Alaska law in this area is a little muddled, and I was forced to examine Alaska appellate case law to find your answers. So, you won't find any of the exact text that I gave you, because what I wrote is my interpretation of Alaska law.

If you need more authority and you feel uncomfortable with my answers, then I STRONGLY advise you to speak with an attorney licensed to practice in your State.

familyof8

Hello Soc,

Again thank you for your help.  I am not uncomfortable with your answer I was just wanting to know where I could find back up just in case we needed to present it to the courts.  Right now the ex has not asked for collage so we are hoping she doesn't but if she does we will get an attorney.

Thank you for pointing us in the direction to find answers and letting us know that maybe we will be done paying soon and we will be able to support our family still at home.