Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Oct 18, 2024, 02:29:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does this fall under educational records?

Started by mcollins73, Mar 30, 2006, 08:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcollins73

I live in TN and my children live in VA.  I recently (upon the advice of this website) met with my child's principal, and was provided with all  school records as well as an individual mailing of report cards and progress reports and weekly emails from the teacher.  Previously, the custodial parent (mother) would not share this information with me.

I have also requested school pictures several times from my child's mother and have never received any.  The principal suggested that I contact the company that takes the pictures to arrange the purchase of a separate package.  I called them today and was told that they will not allow the non-custodial parent to purchase pictures.  They only offer picture packages to the custodial parent and I have to go through the mother to get any.  I advised them that has not worked in the past and asked if there was a law they were going by in making that decision...the only answer I received is that this is the company's policy.

Please advise me....my daughter is 10 yrs. old and the only pictures I have are ones I have taken from a personal camera.

socrateaser

>Please advise me....my daughter is 10 yrs. old and the only
>pictures I have are ones I have taken from a personal camera.

The photography business  is a private actor, and as such, is not subject to FERPA. You might be able to convince a court to declare that the relationship between the photographer and the school is so significant that the photographer should be subject to FERPA, but that will cost you a hell of a lot more than the photos.

I suggest that if you really want some nice photos of your kid, then you take the kid with you to a photo studio and have your own made.

School photos are rarely very good, so just spring for some nice shots, yourself, and solve the problem the easy way.

mcollins73

Thanks.  I tried that before but the mother did not show up for the photography appt.  Hopefully now that we are going to court for visitation/custody, everything will work out where I can do just that!