Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 03:29:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'HIS SIDE' makes endorsement...

Started by MYSONSDAD, Oct 25, 2004, 11:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MYSONSDAD

My Endorsement for President

October 25, 2004

The archive of yesterday's show Libertarian Presidential Candidate Defends
Noncustodial Parents' Rights can be heard here.

Many of you have written to me asking me who I think deserves the vote of those of us concerned about boys', men's and fathers' issues in the upcoming presidential election. As you know, in my newspaper columns and on the air I avoid political partisanship and do not endorse any political party. My feeling has always been that I'm happy to work with whichever party is willing to promote our issues and help keep fathers and children together.

My father is concerned about the war in Iraq and has urged me to vote for one of the  major party presidential candidates. I had told him that I was taking a serious look at Badnarik because of his NCP rights platform. My father, like most, tends to see this as a relatively minor issue in comparison to much of what is being debated by the major candidates. My reply is that nothing is more important than your children, and I reminded my father that he was the one who long ago taught me that.

Below is my endorsement for president. Please note that it is based specifically on the very important issue of fatherhood and noncustodial parents' rights, and is in no way shape or form a comment on the various candidates' policies on the war in Iraq, the economy, or any other issue.

Within the fatherhood movement opinions seem to differ concerning Michael Badnarik's Parents' Rights (or more accurately, noncustodial parents' rights) platform. Some have portrayed Badnarik as a dedicated Fathers'/NCP rights advocate. Others have speculated that his parents' rights platform is not seriously held. One of the things I sought to do in my interview with him yesterday was to try to gauge the seriousness of his commitment to and the breadth of his knowledge of NCP issues. Both I and my listeners raised various related issues. I gave Badnarik wide latitude to answer, and I avoided beating him over the head with fathers' concerns. My conclusions are as follows:

Badnarik is a politician, and like any politician he knows that divorce and gender issues can be a political minefield.

Badnarik has principles and is willing to take heat in defense of them

It would be erroneous to view Badnarik as the "Fathers' Rights candidate" or as someone with a particular focus on fathers' issues.

Badnarik is clearly aware of and sensitive to the basic problems fathers today face, particularly the sole custody norm and the denigration of noncustodial parents to "second class parent" status.

Badnarik is also aware of and concerned about civil rights violations by child support enforcement agencies, the rights of unwed fathers, widespread abuses by Child Protective Services, abuses of judicial discretion and the excessive power of family courts.

This awareness places Badnarik miles ahead of all other presidential candidates.

In summation, I'm voting for Michael Badnarik.

I also strongly urge all of our Massachusetts listeners to vote in favor of the Massachusetts Shared Custody Ballot Question. To learn more about the ballot question, listen to Feminist Ex-ABA Leader Slams Shared Custody, Fathers' Movement.

Family law attorney Mike Varble helps parents fight visitation interference and gain equal access to their children. Mike Varble offers free consultations and has offices in New York City, Westchester and Long Island. Mike also does legal malpractice work, because he believes it can be a valuable check on family law abuses. Call Michael at (914) 528-1282 or e-mail him at [email protected].

Many of you have asked me how you can help the show expand and progress. One of the ways you can do this is to become a His Side supporter by clicking here. Also, if you own a business or professional practice and are interested in advertising on the show, please contact [email protected].

I would like to thank our many wonderful new advertisers--it is in part because of their support that we were able to bring the show to these new markets. To support the advertisers who support His Side, go to His Side Advertisers.

As always, all information about the show can be found at HisSide.com. I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Best Wishes,
Glenn Sacks
Listen to His Side with Glenn Sacks
GlennSacks.com

Libertarian Presidential Candidate Defends Noncustodial Parents' Rights

Libertarian presidential candidate Michael Badnarik has taken a strong stand in defense of parents and noncustodial fathers--the only 2004 presidential candidate to do so. According to Badnarik:

"in divorce proceedings, the states routinely award custody of minor children to one parent...relegating the other parent to the status of 'second-class citizen'--not because the latter parent has been convicted of any crime, or found unfit, but because of a prejudice in favor of....the best 'single' parent.

"The default presumption in any divorce proceeding must be for joint custody of minor children. Failing the waiver of that presumption by one parent, or proof that one parent is unfit, to deny any parent equal access to, and equal participation in the raising of, his or her children is clearly an abuse of law and repugnant to the Constitution.

"...The 13th Amendment prohibits involuntary servitude...the attachment of criminal liability to failure to pay, or work off, debt. Yet, across the nation, hundreds of thousands of non-custodial parents find themselves in court, often charged with felonies and facing prison, for their failure or inability to pay child support. Further, the federal government has intervened to the extent of maintaining a special database to track 'deadbeat parents' across state lines in order to enforce these draconian and unconstitutional laws."

Michael Badnarik joined Glenn on His Side with Glenn Sacks on Sunday, October 24. To listen to the archive of the show, go here and click on "Listen to the Show.".

To learn more about gender issues in the presidential election, see:

Michael Badnarik's Parents' Rights Platform

John Kerry's appeal to women voters at Equal Opportunity for Women

George W. Bush's "'W' is for Women"

Constitution Party candidate Michael Peroutka's Defend the Family

His Side with Glenn Sacks can be heard on WSNR AM 620 in New York City and North-Eastern New Jersey, and on WWZN AM 1510 in Boston on Sundays at 10 PM EST. The show can also be heard in Southern California on KTIE AM 590 at 5 PM PST. To listen live via the Internet from anywhere in the world, go to Listen Live. Both radio and Internet listeners are encouraged to call and participate in the show live and on the air at 1-877-590-KTIE. All callers will be mailed a free CD of the show in which they appeared at their request.

GlennSacks.com / HisSide.com

"Children learn what they live"