Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:06:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trying to get copies of medical bills

Started by glessen, Jun 20, 2006, 01:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glessen

Ex wife who is CP is suppose to send me copies of all medical bills w/in 30 days of her receiving them. She does not. We just received bills from last April to January of this year.

Have told EX to call office and let doctor know to send me a bill. She will not do that. We just went throught this two years ago with four years of bills she kept. And we were court order ot pay them. WE did.

Husband called billing department to get a copy everytime she is seen. He provides the insurance for her. Again they told him they would need an okay from BM, unless he wants to be the gaurntee. (sp)

Husband agrees to it. Well the mother has paid nothing on the bill since 05. And the bills have been going to her address. We just got this done today.

State of Illinois, Mclean county

Question:

1. Now that husband is now responsiable for the bill, what can he do to get BM to pay what she owes from 05?

Everytime we call her or send her a letter and what bills we paid in the past BM claims it's a nasty letter.

2. How do we let her know that we are getting the bills now and not her for she can not send them to us within the time the court told her to?

3. Should I send the copy of the bill for she is to pay 1/2 of what insurance does not cover by certified mail?

socrateaser

>Question:
>
>1. Now that husband is now responsiable for the bill, what can
>he do to get BM to pay what she owes from 05?

If the other parent is court ordered to share unreimbursed medical costs, then you should send her a copy of your bills and request payment immediately, and if you don't receive payment in say 15 calendar days, then you file a motion for contempt, because the other parent has wilfully refused to pay. Or, you could file a motion to clarify (easier), on grounds that the mother apparently believes that she is not required to pay the reimbursement and that the court should specifically order her to do so immediately.

>Everytime we call her or send her a letter and what bills we
>paid in the past BM claims it's a nasty letter.

Welcome to the club. Now get over it. Don't vent, just do what you need to do.

>
>2. How do we let her know that we are getting the bills now
>and not her for she can not send them to us within the time
>the court told her to?

You send her the bill, and request her reimbursement per the court order. This doesn't mean that you can stall your payment to the service provider. You must pay the bill first before the court will hear your complaint, unless you are completely unable to pay through no fault of your own.

>3. Should I send the copy of the bill for she is to pay 1/2 of
>what insurance does not cover by certified mail?

That's how I'd do it. Write the certified mail number on the face of your demand letter and make a copy of that letter and the attached bill. That way, if she signs for the letter then there is no way she can deny receiving it.

glessen

So then you are saying we should pay the bill then collect the half from her?

I always thought we pay half to the doctor and she pays the other half to the doctors.

For that is what we have been doing.

Are we doing it wrong????????

socrateaser

>So then you are saying we should pay the bill then collect
>the half from her?
>
>I always thought we pay half to the doctor and she pays the
>other half to the doctors.
>
>For that is what we have been doing.
>
>Are we doing it wrong????????

I haven't seen your court order, but assuming that it says something like "both parties shall be responsible for one half of any uncovered healthcare expenses," then that creates the liability in both parties TO THE HEALTHCARE PROVIDER -- not to each other.

Courts only entertain actual or imminent threat of harm before providing relief. So, if you go into court and say that the other parent hasn't paid her half of the bill, the court will say, "How are YOU harmed by this fact?" And, your answer is...?

You aren't harmed until the physician actually threatens to sue you, or actually sends you to collection or you pay the bill. Then you have a case. Not until.

And, as you stated that you signed an agreement with the healthcare provider to be responsible for payment, your contract with that person is to be liable for the entire bill.

So, if you pay only one half, then the physician can send you to collections and you will still have to pay. You can certainly haul your ex into court to contribute the other half, but by then your credit record will be ruined.

But, to get the family court to order the other parent to pay, prior to the time that you have been sued by the physician or collection agency, you need to have been injured. And, the only way that can happen is if you pay the entire bill and seek reimbursement from the court.

You can certainly just sit on the problem until it gets big enough to bite you on the ass, but I advise against that course of action. Better to pay the bill and then take her to court. The judge will be much more unhappy with the other party knowing that you tried to get her to pay, but failed so you paid yourself.