Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 02:12:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

''Boys Are Dumb, Wash Their Bum!''

Started by Brent, Oct 29, 2004, 07:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

Yes, you read that correctly: "Boys Are Dumb, Wash Their Bum!" is just one of a series of offensive slogans on some merchandise at Fred Meyer, a chain department store in many western states.

The products are lip gels and soaps, targetted at teen- and pre-teen girls. Personally, I think it's offensive in a number of ways- it's offensive to boys and it sends the wrong message to young girls. And wouldn't ya know it- these products are put out by those ignorant a-holes that made the "Boys Are Dumb- Throw Rocks At Them" shirts, the company called  "David & Goliath".

Not surprisingly, there were NO products that make girls the target- no "Girls Are Dumb, Wash Their Bum!" merchandise at all.

So, I spoke with the manager and told him I come to this store almost every week and spend a hell of a lot of money over the course of a year- but that was stopping TODAY. I dropped all my (unbought) stuff right there on the floor and told him I'd never spend another dime in a Fred Meyer store until they removed this offensive, gender-biased garbage. To his credit, he started pulling stuff off the shelves right then and there, but he's just one manager at one store.

We need to get the word out to ALL the Fred Meyer stores that this kind of merchandise is unacceptable.

Below are the product numbers and toll-free telephone number for Fred Meyer. Please give them a call and let them know that you won't shop at a store that discriminates against boys, and that tells young girls that it's COOL to be mean to boys.

Toll-Free Number: 1-888-247-4439

Product numbers:

7-67014-35483
7-67014-34245
7-67014-36845
7-67014-32254
7-67014-34107
7-67014-34105

When you call, be polite, but BE FIRM, and let the customer representative know a few things:

1) You will NOT shop at Fred Meyer while they carry these products, and

2) That you are offended that Fred Meyer would carry this kind of merchandise, and

3) That you find this merchandise to be quite offensive.

Thank you. Let's get this junk out of the stores and let them know that targetting boys to be made fun of is a stupid and offensive thing to do.

...Brent

MYSONSDAD

ON IT!!!

"Children learn what they live"

SadStepMom

Any chance that is a Portland, OR Fred Meyer?  I will be heading to my local one to do the same thing.

darkspectre

Brent,

Wanted to let you know I called in my complaint because I agree with you wholeheartedly. This is no different than ads depicting husbands/boyfriends as complete morons in everything they do, and women as the only competent creatures alive. I especially like the ads where the women are either ogling some construction worker's ass, or they show a woman hit her husband/boyfriend out of anger or frustration.

To say the lawsuits would be flying were the genders reversed is greatly understating it.

Hope they pull this garbage from their shelves.

txblonde

Recently I went shopping with my boys to Half Price Books here in Dallas and they had the mugs that said "Boys are stupid throw rocks at them" and having learned about this on this site, I complained to the manager and he agreed with me and removed all the items from the store.  He said they get items that did not sell well at other department stores and they sell them at clearance prices.  

It's not enough for them to remove the offensive merchandise by having discount stores sell them instead.  This merchandise should not be created in the first place!   Thanks, Brent for pursuing this cause.