Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Sep 19, 2024, 11:48:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminating rights/step-parent adopting in Texas

Started by tlb8man, Aug 06, 2006, 10:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlb8man

I wanted to get some information on how to terminate the bio-mom's rights (she wants to terminate) so that I (step-mom) may adopt my step-daughter. Where do I need to start? Is it best to get a lawyer? How long does the prcess take? Is there any way to do it ourselves?

Thanks in advance.
t bateman

socrateaser

>I wanted to get some information on how to terminate the
>bio-mom's rights (she wants to terminate) so that I (step-mom)
>may adopt my step-daughter. Where do I need to start? Is it
>best to get a lawyer? How long does the prcess take? Is there
>any way to do it ourselves?

An adoption attorney would be the obvious choice.

Basically, it's a matter of the legal parent signing an agreement  relinquishing all parental rights in the child, and the stepparent signing the agreement to assume all parental rights. However, the court must render a final judgment of adoption, and it will not do so unless it finds and concludes that both the current and putative parent have made this decision based on well-informed consent and with independent counsel, because of the gravity of the decision.

The court must be convinced that no one is being subjected to any undue influence (i.e., deceit, trick, threat, intimidation, physical force, monetary compensation, etc.).

If all the documents are prepared and filed correctly, you could probably get a judgment in 30 days.

socrateaser

>I wanted to get some information on how to terminate the
>bio-mom's rights (she wants to terminate) so that I (step-mom)
>may adopt my step-daughter. Where do I need to start? Is it
>best to get a lawyer? How long does the prcess take? Is there
>any way to do it ourselves?

An adoption attorney would be the obvious choice.

Basically, it's a matter of the legal parent signing an agreement  relinquishing all parental rights in the child, and the stepparent signing the agreement to assume all parental rights. However, the court must render a final judgment of adoption, and it will not do so unless it finds and concludes that both the current and putative parent have made this decision based on well-informed consent and with independent counsel, because of the gravity of the decision.

The court must be convinced that no one is being subjected to any undue influence (i.e., deceit, trick, threat, intimidation, physical force, monetary compensation, etc.).

If all the documents are prepared and filed correctly, you could probably get a judgment in 30 days.