Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Oct 18, 2024, 09:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sending the Other Parent a "bill"

Started by williaer, Aug 10, 2006, 01:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williaer

I have joint legal/physical of my daughter. All parties are in Ohio.

I still pay child support for her and the joint cusotdy agreement that we wrote states that we split "everything" 50/50, except school lunches (she pays) and extra-curriculars (I pay).

I went to the school for "book pick-up day" and had to buy all of the required texts and supplies that day for my daughter to start school next week. Other parent did not attend.

I wrote out checks totalling almost $200.

Questions:

What is the best way to "prove" that I have asked the other parent to reimburse for their half?

I guess what I'm asking is: What form of "mailing" should I use that will both prove that I sent it and not send her into a frenzy (ie- if I send it certified, she will likely throw a fit)?

Have you heard of a certificate of mailing? If so- What is it and how does it work?

socrateaser

>I wrote out checks totalling almost $200.
>
>Questions:
>
>What is the best way to "prove" that I have asked the other
>parent to reimburse for their half?

There are lots of ways to prove notice. One way is to get a certified mail slip from the post office, write a letter to the other parent, and include the certified mail id# on the face of the letter as a reference. Make a copy of the letter. Then, send the letter certified mail. When the oher parent signs for the letter, your copy of the letter along with the certified mail receipt, will prove she was provided with notice of the debt.

>
>I guess what I'm asking is: What form of "mailing" should I
>use that will both prove that I sent it and not send her into
>a frenzy (ie- if I send it certified, she will likely throw a
>fit)?
>
>Have you heard of a certificate of mailing? If so- What is it
>and how does it work?

This is the statement that a third party signs when they serve someone legal process by mail. You can absolutely use this technique, but, then your proof is the third party's testimony, and of course, then you need a third party. If you send via certified mail, the USPS is your third party.