Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:44:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

George, what the hell were you thinking?

Started by StPaulieGirl, Jan 07, 2004, 09:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StPaulieGirl

1776!

ROTFLMAO at potty training, strawberry rolling papers, and (((disco)))!!!

Indigo Mom

You're one old SOB, now aincha?  We're spring chickens compared to you, ya old coot....what was life like back then?

StPaulieGirl

Yeah I guess I am old, hahaha :-)

The music was great, if you could avoid Disco.  Usually it was word of mouth.  Black Sabbath (of course), Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, The Ramones, just too many to name off the top of my head.  Ooooh, Lynyrd Skynyrd!!!!!  Did I spell that right?

My mom thought anything that made anyone happy was a total sin, so I listened to music at my friends houses.  Hell, I was still rolling my skirts!

Cheech and Chong were big back then.  I admit that I did drugs, although nothing involved with needles. Strawberry rolling papers suck!!!!!!!  God I still remember how nasty those things were.  Bongs were the way to go.  Anyone remember scrubbing bongwater out of the carpet?    

Remember Dr. Demento?  He was huge in the Seventies!  I remember bringing my radio into the kitchen to listen to him while doing my chores Sunday night.  I always managed to turn the volume down, when they played "Vatican Rag". ( I think I still know all the lyrics....it was sooo naughty, ya know)  Something cool-I was lucky enough to hear Weird Al's homemade tapes on Dr. Demento!  He's my age too.  Is he still single?

The clothes sucked.  They came up with this synthetic polyester crap call Qiana.  Stuck to everything.  Guys and girls wore it.  Bell bottoms and bikes don't work.  I should dig up my HS yearbook for even more horrible examples.  By this time I was completely fed up with the world and decided to scare people. Jeans.  Black tee shirts, preferably with an offensive logo.  Converse One Stars. These were stashed at my friends house.  To this day, I try and avoid polyester and all its forms like the plague.

Politics.  Well, there was Jimmy Carter.  That's the first president that I was old enough to form an opinion about.  No comment.

As far as sex and things like that, I was into vandalism.  My mom's idea of sex ed was to explain that should I ever do "something bad", that I would have to move out of state, and give the baby up for adoption.  

I met a lot of people while I was being a pain in the butt.  I learned a lot of things that I wouldn't have experienced otherwise sitting between church and my bedroom.  I pieced together my own opinion about Viet Nam by listening to guys who were there.  Not from the crap on tv.  Never trust tv news!  Unfortunately, I probably should have listened to my mom.  My dad was always there, but he was raised that the women took care of the kids.   Lol, my best memories are of helping my dad in the yard, or fixing the car.

I made some bad choices.  Between the liberal assholes I had for teachers, the media, and my innate revulsion towards my moms religious obsessions....I was a disaster.  I don't mean to come off as being hateful towards my mom.  She had problems.  God rest her soul.

Anyone else like to contribute their '70's memories?

Indigo Mom

Now that's a time I'd love to go back to.  I'd love to sit on a hill overlooking a Native American tribe.  It would be fabulous to see how they "really" live, as opposed to the movies we watch now a days.  I'd like to walk among them...and really feel how it was.  

Wouldn't that be sweet????  Ya...I think so.

Now, the 1970's.  Let's see.  I was born then, started kindergarten.  Had the 1st of two moves to England.  Lived in Idaho, too.  Yep.  That's about all I remember.  I guess Peanutsdad was right when he said if you lived in the 70's, ya can't remember 'em...lolololol

Kitty C.

No way!  Only decade to produce more muscle cars that any other!  In fact, Pontiac is bringing the Goat back, wooohoooo!!!!!!

The Hemi's, the 442's, the Tang's, the Super Bee's, the 4 barrel carbs, the dual exhausts with 'glass packs'.....I may have been jr. high and HS at the time, but I had an older brother I idolized who's first car was a baby blue and white '56 Chevy, back in 1970.  Was his first passenger, as a matter of fact!  My heroes were my dad and Richard Petty!  Even when I was in HS, my 'dream car' (at the time) was a 1972 candy apple red Chevelle.

Nuthin' like the rumble of a great exhaust and the rev of a finely tuned engine........wrap it up to 5 grand, side-step the clutch, and light the tires!!!!!!!!!

;-)
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Kitty C.

DH still watches it on BBCA!  Probably only thing from the 70's I can still tolerate to watch, LOL!

Oh boy, Cheech and Chong!  I went to YCC (Youth Conservation Corps) for 6 weeks after graduation, and had a roommate who was just as into them as I was.  Both had 'Up in Smoke' on cassette and MEMORIZED!  Worked at a national wildlife refuge where the ditch weed grew to over 6 feet, back in the bone yard.  Smoked my share (not at YCC!) but had to give it up eventually because of the paranoia.....didn't like doing it anymore when it stopped being fun!

I agree on the polyester and 'Quiana', SPG!  Rank stuff, hot and sweaty in the summer and freezing in the winter!  I had a friend in CA that couldn't get away from bell bottoms, got pretty difficult finding jeans by the mid 80's for him, but I told him if the good Lord had meant him to wear bell bottoms, He'd have flaired his ankles!

And yes, you did spell Lynyrd Skynyrd right!  You got taste, Girl!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

StPaulieGirl

My kids have a Native American grandmother on their father's maternal side.  My youngest is tawny skinned with almond shaped blue eyes.  I like to call her my little Indian Princess :-)  All the girls have unusual looking blue eyes.  My mother in law said the name of the tribe, but I can't spell it.  It was a small tribe in Illinois state.  My ex brother in law swears it's Iroquois.  That would explain their tempers...

I had a hard time trying to come up with good memories from the '70's, even though I know I had fun.  Lol....

StPaulieGirl

I love Monty Python!  Remember Benny Hill?  Hahaha, I wish I had that stuff on video.  Yeah, I know they sell it, but I'm cheap.

My ex had that Cheech and Chong album called "The Big Bambu", complete with rolling paper!  Dave's not here!  Did you ever hear the one they did called "Santa's Old Lady"?  It was a parody of "The Night Before Christmas", all I can remember is "On Chuey!, On Tavo!..."  Lol, it was hysterical!!!  My ex had all of their albums, plus Red Foxx, and Richard Pryor.

I hate polyester to this day.  I laughed so hard when bellbottoms came back into style, and my girls started wearing them.  Oh well at least the fashionistas haven't reintroduced the bustle :P Frankly, guys wearing bellbottoms these days is kind of ridiculous.  As is watching my son shuffle off to school wearing Dickies 3 sizes too big for him....with the mandatory gap of plaid boxer shorts showing...

Lynyrd Skynyrd rocks!  Tuesday's gone with the wiiiiiind!  Hey do you remember the Outlaws?  Green Grass and High Tides Forever?

john5739

Are you the same person who posted to the mother who was worried about her children being sexually molested?  I'm not quoting you verbatim, but didn't you say something along the lines of once a drug user always a drug user?  If your previous postings here are in reference to drug use ( I'm a little too young to know what Columbian gold and strawberry paper is, but I think they are euphemisms for cocaine and acid?)  If I'm right aren't you a little hypocrytical?  

MKx2

I don't recall the poster actually stating personal USE of drugs ... or did I miss that?  I think this thread was on memories not personal use of drugs.

Since you're "too young" to know with certainty all the jargon of the 60's and 70's, and I'm quite old enough to know most of it, and remember wearing Fairchild moccassins, Haight-Ashbury, The Stone Ponys, and Woodstock, etc.  The majority of those folks were marijuana users, most of whom I believe have gone on to be rather responsible adults and leaders (LOL didn't Clinton say he "never inhaled"?).  I suggest that if they were all hard-core users of cocaine and acid then perhaps we would have a 100% "checked out" society in the age group of 40 - 60 ... don't think that's the case.

Long term hard core drug use is tough to kick ... rather like an alcoholic.  You can go to rehab and be clean for YEARS, but ONE single hit or drink drags you right back to the pit of Hell.

I am very sorry for your personal experiences, truly.  Not all children in foster care have the same ones, though in reality not a single ONE should ever have it ... just as nto a single child should have to live with a long term drug abusing parent.

Perhaps your post would be a bit better received if the question of knowledge was from personal use, rather than the assumption of it - I know the terms, but never used cocaine, nor did I drop acid.  Knowledge does not equate with use.