Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jul 26, 2024, 07:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Request for Records Letter (Version 3)

If you have a good relationship with the doctor or school you're requesting records from, this might be a better letter to send. If this letter doesn't produce results, we suggest following up with one of our standard letters for school or medical records. Copy the text into your word-processor and change the information in [brackets] to fit your particular circumstances.

[Your name]
[Your address]
[Your City, State, Zip]
[Your phone number]
[Your e-mail]

[Principal's name]
[School or Doctor's address]
[City, State, Zip]

Dear [Mr./Ms. teacher, doctor, or Principal's name],

I am [child's name] non-custodial parent. [He/She is enrolled at [name of school]. I would like to be actively involved in [his/her] development and education, and would appreciate your help by providing me with whatever information, schedules, and notices that are received by [child's name] custodial home. Much of that information is not otherwise shared with me, unfortunately. I should also mention that there is nothing in my divorce decree that excludes me from sharing in my child's school records, and that I'm entitled to access to them under the law.

Your efforts will assure meaningful involvement and my continuing awareness of my child's school classroom activities and environment. For that, I thank you. Of immediate importance to me is obtaining [child's name] records to date, including Progress Reports and attendance records for the just completed school year, as well as any general brochures or information outlining [name of school] programs, including annual calendars, curriculum, hours of operation, etc. Enclosed is a large self-addressed stamped envelope for your convenience.

In the future, I would like to be placed on your school's mailing list and receive notice of field trips, presentation, school picture ordering forms, etc. I will also forward self-addressed stamped envelopes at the beginning of the next academic year as well. Also, I would like to schedule a conference either with you or [child's name] teacher upon [his/her] placement for the upcoming session. Please feel free to forward this request or my future correspondence to the appropriate teacher or caretaker. In the future, when Progress Reports are issued, I would expect to receive, sign and return a duplicate copies.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. I'm sure you agree it is in the best interest of [child's name] to have the active care and involvement of both [his/her] parents. Your assistance in this situation is greatly appreciated. [Child's name] has shown a lot of enthusiasm regarding [Mr./Ms. teacher's name] class and I'm sure [he/she] is looking forward to another year at [name of school].

Thank you,

[Your name]

Articles in « Practical Tips and Techniques »