Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Jun 03, 2024, 01:09:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Correcting School Records Form Letter

Use this form letter to request a change, addition, or removal of incorrect, misleading, or inappropriate information in your child's school records.
As a parent, you have the right under FERPA to ask the school to add, change, or remove false records which appear in your child's school file. For example, one use for this letter might be to ensure that you, as the father, are listed properly on the school's enrollment forms. Send this Certified and Return Receipt Requested, and make sure you keep a copy for your records as well as sending a copy to the Family Policy Compliance Office and your attorney.

REQUEST FOR CHANGE, ADDITION, OR REMOVAL OF RECORDS UNDER THE FAMILY EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVACY ACT (FERPA)

[Date]

TO: [Name of Principal]
[Name of School]
[Address of School]

Dear [Name of Principal]:

I am the [father/mother] of John Jones, a student currently enrolled in your school.

There is a statement in John's [enter the name of the record. For example: "physical therapy evaluation, performed by Ms. Smith on June 5, 1999"] which I believe is ["misleading," "inaccurate," and/or "in violation of my child's rights"] because [state your reasons and provide any documentary evidence as an attachment].

I request that you [add/change/remove] John's [name of record] records so that they will no longer be ["misleading," "inaccurate," and/or "in violation of my child's rights"], as detailed below.

(Specify whatever corrections are to be made in this area. Provide documentation if necessary.)

I am making this request in accordance with the Family Rights and Educational Privacy Act (FERPA). By law, you are required to comply with this request. Please contact me if you have any questions or need any clarification regarding this request.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. I look forward to hearing from you in this matter.

Sincerely,

[Parent Name]
[Parent Signature]
[Address]
[Phone number]

cc: Family Policy Compliance Office
cc: Parent's attorney's name

Articles in « Practical Tips and Techniques »